One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘In Oban's featureless tea rooms, elderly coach-trippers write cheerful messages on damp postcards or stare vacantly at cars disembarking from the ferries.’
- ‘I stare vacantly at my computer, not really seeing anything.’
- ‘Tanya shrugged vacantly, and changed the subject.’
- ‘Glassy-eyed voters will nod their heads vacantly.’
- ‘I finished what I was doing and went to join the jollity, sitting in a corner, smiling vacantly.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.