Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
2(in textual references) verse.‘the use of the dī phrase in v.44’
4Versus.‘Portsmouth v Coventry City’‘the case of Stacey v Babcock Power Ltd’
6(in textual references) vide.
1The twenty-second letter of the alphabet.
- ‘The letter V has been assigned the number 4 in numerology.’
- ‘What are some adjectives that begins with V?’
- ‘List every girl's name that you can think of that begins with the letter V.’
- 1.1Denoting the next after U in a set of items, categories, etc.
- ‘Initially all triangles are placed in set V.’
- ‘If a site has been identified as falling into Category V, this will become apparent when a title search has been conducted by a buyer's lawyer.’
2A shape like that of a letter V.[in combination] ‘deep, V-shaped valleys’
- ‘When they finally came, it was in their tens of thousands, in vees and columns of up to two hundred birds at a time.’
- ‘Tooling mortar joints with a steel jointer - whether concave, vee, or grapevine - makes the wall more attractive and smooths the joints to a more weather-resistant finish.’
- ‘I also love off the shoulder tops, or tops with a deep vee or wide neck.’
- ‘I placed the centre front seam on the fold of the fabric and cut the vee to more of a curve.’
- ‘Mary looked confused suddenly, her perfectly sculpted eyebrows forming a vee as she frowned.’
- ‘The filter is located in the center of the vee, between the two rows of cylinders so it can be reached easily from above.’
- ‘However, as the second vee of bombers approached only two F4Fs were in position to attack.’
- 2.1[as modifier]Denoting an internal combustion engine with a number of cylinders arranged in two rows at an angle to each other in a V-shape.‘a V-engine’
- ‘Its supercharged V8 betters the Corvette's output by 100 horsepower.’
- ‘The bonnet may be the shortest seen on a Jaguar and shows just how compact a body the V-engine design can allow.’
- ‘Externally, all V-engined Passats are differentiated from lesser models by their red-tinted tail lights.’
3The Roman numeral for five.
- ‘By 1364 he was in Paris, working for Charles V.’
- ‘Fifteen years after starring in Rocky V, Sylvester Stallone is reprising his role as the boxing champ in the sixth Rocky movie.’
- ‘Act V takes the form of a single extended scene.’
- ‘Chapter V lays down certain important provisions that are common to the right of residence and permanent residence.’
1Vatican City (international vehicle registration).
1The chemical element vanadium.
2Voltage or potential difference.‘V = IR’
3(in mathematical formulae) volume.‘pV = nRT’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.