One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
2(in textual references) verse.‘the use of the dī phrase in v.44’
4Versus.‘Portsmouth v Coventry City’‘the case of Stacey v Babcock Power Ltd’
6(in textual references) vide.
1Vatican City (international vehicle registration).
1The chemical element vanadium.
2Voltage or potential difference.‘V = IR’
3(in mathematical formulae) volume.‘pV = nRT’
nounPlural V's, Plural vs, Plural Vs
1The twenty-second letter of the alphabet.
- ‘The letter V has been assigned the number 4 in numerology.’
- ‘List every girl's name that you can think of that begins with the letter V.’
- ‘What are some adjectives that begins with V?’
- 1.1 Denoting the next after U in a set of items, categories, etc.
- ‘If a site has been identified as falling into Category V, this will become apparent when a title search has been conducted by a buyer's lawyer.’
- ‘Initially all triangles are placed in set V.’
2A shape like that of a letter V.in combination ‘deep, V-shaped valleys’
- ‘The filter is located in the center of the vee, between the two rows of cylinders so it can be reached easily from above.’
- ‘Tooling mortar joints with a steel jointer - whether concave, vee, or grapevine - makes the wall more attractive and smooths the joints to a more weather-resistant finish.’
- ‘Mary looked confused suddenly, her perfectly sculpted eyebrows forming a vee as she frowned.’
- ‘However, as the second vee of bombers approached only two F4Fs were in position to attack.’
- ‘When they finally came, it was in their tens of thousands, in vees and columns of up to two hundred birds at a time.’
- ‘I also love off the shoulder tops, or tops with a deep vee or wide neck.’
- ‘I placed the centre front seam on the fold of the fabric and cut the vee to more of a curve.’
- 2.1as modifier Denoting an internal combustion engine with a number of cylinders arranged in two rows at an angle to each other in a V-shape.‘a V-engine’
- ‘Its supercharged V8 betters the Corvette's output by 100 horsepower.’
- ‘Externally, all V-engined Passats are differentiated from lesser models by their red-tinted tail lights.’
- ‘The bonnet may be the shortest seen on a Jaguar and shows just how compact a body the V-engine design can allow.’
3The Roman numeral for five.
- ‘Fifteen years after starring in Rocky V, Sylvester Stallone is reprising his role as the boxing champ in the sixth Rocky movie.’
- ‘By 1364 he was in Paris, working for Charles V.’
- ‘Act V takes the form of a single extended scene.’
- ‘Chapter V lays down certain important provisions that are common to the right of residence and permanent residence.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.