One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A type of sub-machine gun of Israeli design.‘both of them were armed, one with what appeared to be an Uzi’as modifier ‘he opened fire with a Uzi sub-machine gun’
- ‘Though Uzis can shoot 700 rounds a minute, the reactivated Uzis could not be fired automatically but could still be fired.’
- ‘The ban on such weapons as Uzis and AK - 47s will expire at midnight next Monday unless Congress votes to renew it.’
- ‘They hike, learn hand-to-hand combat, undergo missions and use weapons such as Uzis and M16s.’
- ‘All travelled the whole time in army camouflage, and all three carried Uzis, even on the public buses and into the youth hostels at the day's end.’
- ‘One type of gun nut has become all too familiar: the folks who claim the right to own and operate automatic rifles, Uzis, Thompson submachine guns - anything with firepower, no matter how overstated.’
1950s: from Uziel Gal (1923–2002), the Israeli army officer who designed it.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.