1[mass noun] The killing of one's wife.
killing, homicide, assassination, liquidation, extermination, execution, slaughter, butchery, massacreView synonyms
- ‘Although seemingly rare, the rate of incidence of uxoricide in the United States is similar to that of childhood leukemia.’
- ‘The risk of uxoricide increased with greater age difference between partners.’
- ‘Not only did he never commit uxoricide, he never hit his wife.’
- 1.1[count noun] A man who kills his wife.
- ‘He was an uxoricide who had crept up behind his wife one morning and slit her throat.’
- ‘The Chief of Scotland Yard remains with doubt whether Arthur is an uxoricide or not.’
Mid 19th century: from Latin uxor wife + -cide.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.