One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to a wife.‘she was typecast in uxorial roles’
- ‘They are both archetypes of uxorial love and devotion.’
- ‘Her disdain for the uxorial role is well-known.’
- ‘Wormholes, the first of my uxorial collaborations, is a game of starship tactics.’
- ‘While she never seems to have shied away from revealing every detail about her sex life, on this subject she remains studiously tight-lipped, only hinting about her own uxorial conflicts.’
- ‘The women's auxiliaries articulated an uxorial identity for their members and stressed the importance of well-managed homes with competent wives at the helm.’
Early 19th century: from Latin uxor ‘wife’ + -ial.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.