[mass noun] A strong, thick plush velvet, used in upholstery.
- ‘There were couches and chairs, luxuriously upholstered with crimson Utrecht velvet throughout the building, complimented by a set of fine Indian curtains.’
- ‘The interior fittings are very pleasant, being white, picked out with gold, the upholstering being red Utrecht velvet.’
- ‘It is furnished in old carved oak, with large carved cabinets, and the chairs are cushioned with crimson Utrecht velvet.’
- ‘In the end I came out of Mr Solomon's shop with a velvet curtain and a receipt for a posing chair, which was to be covered with Utrecht velvet.’
- ‘After dinner we adjourned to a little sitting room whose walnut furniture was covered with yellow Utrecht velvet.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.