One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The organ in the lower body of a woman or female mammal where offspring are conceived and in which they gestate before birth; the womb.
- ‘A doctor may suspect fetal growth restriction if the mother's uterus is not growing at a normal rate.’
- ‘Oxygen was being delivered via the placenta because most of the baby's body was still in the uterus.’
- ‘Any bleeding that occurs between periods, very rarely indicates cancer of the cervix or uterus.’
- ‘Endometriosis is when the tissue that lines the uterus appears in other parts of the body.’
- ‘When a woman is not pregnant, the body of the uterus is about the size of a fist and its interior walls are collapsed.’
- ‘This may result in heavy bleeding during birth, perhaps leading to surgical removal of the uterus.’
- ‘If the ovaries or uterus are removed, there are likely to be changes in hormones.’
- ‘As well as vulval cancer, she treats cancer of the cervix, uterus, and ovaries.’
- ‘In pregnancy, an important but temporary organ, the placenta, is formed in the uterus.’
- ‘The baby is pushed out of the uterus, through the cervix, and along the birth canal.’
- ‘Next, the doctor will pass a tiny tube called a catheter through an artery to your uterus.’
- ‘Some of these embryos will be implanted in a woman's uterus, while others are frozen and stored.’
- ‘High-fat diets may increase your risk of cancer of the prostate, colon, rectum and uterus.’
- ‘Both of these techniques can be used throughout pregnancy to allow a closer look at the cervix and lower uterus.’
- ‘With their informed consent, their uteruses were carefully examined after operation, and the authors found that a number of them had conceived just before surgery.’
- ‘Some of the desperate women who opted for backstreet abortions often had to have their uteruses surgically removed because of resulting massive infection.’
- ‘Hepatitis B can be spread to the baby in the uterus or during the birth process.’
- ‘Women who had previously experienced caesarean section had a marginally smaller blood loss and a lower death rate from ruptured uterus.’
- ‘About 70 women with benign fibroids had their uteruses removed without first trying drugs or other treatments that could have been effective.’
- ‘This is probably because the mother's uterus is not yet stretched and the baby has little room to move.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.