One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An expert or highly skilled person, especially a musician.‘Ustad Zakir Hussain’‘he has interviewed ustads of various trades’
- ‘It is an honour to have the ustad with us.’
- ‘After the concert, the ustad watched happily as a few students, who were unlettered street urchins till recently, drew rudraveenas and wrote a paragraph about it each.’
- ‘The daughters are sent to be trained by an ustad and not having an ustad entails loss of prestige.’
- ‘I had read enough Indian book reviews to know that reviewers are ustads with blades sharpened on a cruelly efficient whetstone.’
- ‘She reveals that she once attempted to learn the harmonium and singing in her college days from an ustad, but soon gave up.’
From Urdu ustād.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.