Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
[mass noun] The quality or fact of being useful.‘faults that affect the book's usefulness’
functionality, practicality, serviceability, fitness, adequacy, handiness, neatness, convenience, utility, use, effectiveness, efficacyvalue, worth, merit, successbenefits, advantages, helpfulness, good, avail, help, assistanceniftinessView synonyms
- ‘In the light of this we want to question the usefulness and convenience of maintaining this on the agenda.’
- ‘Vases, for example, derive their value from their usefulness or desirability for humans.’
- ‘Police today cast doubt on the usefulness of over-the-counter drug testing kits to detect spiked drinks.’
- ‘We throw away stuff not because it's outlived its usefulness or functionality but its novelty.’
- ‘In other areas of design, a noticeable attractiveness is thought to be relevant as well as usefulness and usability.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.