One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Hydrogen cyanide adsorbed on or released from a carrier in the form of small tablets, used as an insecticidal fumigant and by the Nazis for killing concentration-camp prisoners.
- ‘They do not even deny that Zyklon B gas was employed at Auschwitz, but they claim it was used for delousing rather than homicidal purposes.’
- ‘While the commanding officer was away, a guard at Auschwitz used the delousing chemical Zyklon B on some prisoners.’
- ‘The Nazis used Zyklon B, a dreaded chemical, to gas prisoners at Auschwitz.’
- ‘By 1941, Zyklon B, a form of prussic acid, was being used at the camp at Auschwitz to gas prisoners.’
- ‘In autumn 1941, the first gassing experiments in Auschwitz itself take place, using Zyklon B, a powerful disinfectant used to delouse clothes.’
1930s: from German, of unknown origin.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.