One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A rich Italian dessert resembling trifle.
- ‘Before serving decorate the zuppa inglese with whipped cream.’
- ‘Considering that zuppa inglese is neither a soup nor English, it is not hard to conclude that few dishes have ever been as badly misnamed.’
- ‘Our finale was zuppa inglese, a monster-large portion that jumbled raspberry mousse and sponge cake with subtle lacings of rum and port wine.’
- ‘Spoon the cream on top of the zuppa inglese and garnish with berries.’
- ‘One unmissable ingredients for an authentic zuppa inglese is a shockingly hued liqueur called alkermes, which imparts a bright pinkish red colour to the sponge.’
Italian, literally ‘English soup’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.