One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A rich Italian dessert resembling trifle.
- ‘Our finale was zuppa inglese, a monster-large portion that jumbled raspberry mousse and sponge cake with subtle lacings of rum and port wine.’
- ‘Considering that zuppa inglese is neither a soup nor English, it is not hard to conclude that few dishes have ever been as badly misnamed.’
- ‘One unmissable ingredients for an authentic zuppa inglese is a shockingly hued liqueur called alkermes, which imparts a bright pinkish red colour to the sponge.’
- ‘Before serving decorate the zuppa inglese with whipped cream.’
- ‘Spoon the cream on top of the zuppa inglese and garnish with berries.’
Italian, literally ‘English soup’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.