Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Having or representing animal forms or gods of animal form.‘pottery decorated with anthropomorphic and zoomorphic designs’
- ‘Part of a group of vaguely zoomorphic and anthropomorphic images by Milares, which includes the ‘Homunculi’ and ‘Anthropofauna’ series, Neanderthal was one of the best works in the exhibition.’
- ‘The diverse themes represented in the decoration include mythical and historical figures, folk tales, zoomorphic imagery, plants, flowers, birds, and other animals.’
- ‘Set on waist-high stands, the colorful abstract objects, some with gold and silver metallic glazes, at first suggest zoomorphic shapes or architectural forms.’
- ‘While not well preserved, the elegant carving of the zoomorphic chair displays elongated proportions similar to those seen on the Megiddo ivory.’
- ‘Similar zoomorphic masks are found in the contemporary iconography of Maya thrones, as, for example, the basal motifs in the bench of Copan Structure 18.’
- ‘This cap is always ornamented with designs (geometric, zoomorphic, and anthropomorphic) in variegated colors similar to those found on initiation panels.’
- ‘There are three quite extraordinary heads - grotesque, zoomorphic human masks, 66 cm high and 138 cm wide, where animal forms are combined with human features.’
- ‘These pipes were often carved in zoomorphic forms.’
- ‘Examples of these zoomorphic brooches are the stag and fish.’
- ‘All such reported items are zoomorphic; no human representations are known, with the exception of human faces on pipes.’
- ‘By contrast, anthropomorphic and zoomorphic images proliferated in the secular arts.’
- ‘It is built very simply of blocks and render, timber joists and so on, with things like precast concrete sewage pipes and standard plastic bubbles to make some of the earlier zoomorphic elements.’
- ‘There are two types of sculpted zoomorphic figures: generic four-legged animals and figures of specific animals.’
- ‘While the story, the script, and the five ornate zoomorphic initials accord well with our expectations of the elite Komnenian book culture, the images seem incongruous.’
- ‘Other materials found during the digs were a flint knife, zoomorphic penannular brooch, decorated bone comb, bronze age pottery and arrowheads.’
Late 19th century: from zoo- of animals + Greek morphē form + -ic.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.