One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Distribution in zones or regions of definite character.‘quartz grains can exhibit zonation and rounding’
- ‘Although heavy mineral zonations are well developed in some alluvial strata, other alluvial systems may be more homogeneous.’
- ‘Internal textures typically show pronounced zonation of crystallite orientation and grain size.’
- ‘To address the latter question, it has proven useful to compare closely related species, especially congeners that exhibit temperature-related patterns of zonation.’
- ‘Test walls appear to lack compositional zonation, consisting mostly of small quartz grains with some incorporated sponge spicules.’
- ‘Cathodoluminescence imaging revealed that all grains contain a discrete core whose internal zonation was truncated by a surrounding brightly luminescent rim.’
- 1.1Ecology The distribution of plants or animals into specific zones according to such parameters as altitude or depth, each characterized by its dominant species.
- ‘Most studies conducted on plant zonation have been within perennial-dominated coastal marshes or non-saline marshes.’
- ‘Numerous regional schemes rationalizing the nomenclatural stratigraphy of the critical time have been developed, and a variety of biostratigraphic zonations evolved.’
- ‘Marine ecologists have long regarded the stresses imposed by abiotic factors like temperature to play pivotal roles in establishing the upper limits to zonation in the intertidal zone.’
- ‘Local microclimate strongly determines the local zonation of the two species.’
- ‘The vegetation in the marsh shows clear zonation with different species dominating different zones.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.