One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An inclined cable or rope with a suspended harness, pulley, or handle, down which a person slides for amusement.
- ‘Kwenn snapped the zip line and clung onto the tank.’
- ‘That life coaching process has recently enabled Marian to climb a 50 ft tree, and, from a platform, scale down a zip wire to the ground at 30 mph.’
- ‘The next day was spent on Brownsea Island, with zip wires, a tug of war and more bonding exercises.’
- ‘The army will provide entertainment with an assault course, paint-balling fun and a zip line.’
- ‘The staff is trained, camp opens, and the new zip line is the biggest hit in years.’
- ‘He shot a zip line onto the wall opposite, and pulled himself along.’
- ‘As a trained commando, Sam will go through a lot of climbing drills that'll come in handy for scaling walls and fences, zip lines and rappelling, among other tactics.’
- ‘There's also the Flying Fox zipline, on which daredevils can reach speeds of more than 60 miles an hour.’
- ‘Within a week Albert, Gladys and the gang were canoeing, caving, even strutting their stuff on the zip wire aerial runway.’
- ‘At the top of the mountain, someone had set up a zip line, a big version of the kind you find in fancy suburban backyards.’
- ‘It was Stan's first time doing a zip line, and he seemed to enjoy it.’
- ‘The design allows players to run around on rooftops, use zip lines or take covered routes through buildings.’
- ‘Prepare visitors before they get their very first glimpse of the climbing wall or the zip line.’
- ‘They have to lower this basket down a zip line system, 600 feet down to the bottom.’
- ‘She then attaches a rope hook in an out of the way place and she pulls up and neatly stacks the zip line.’
- ‘The Lieutenant now rode the zip line into his suit, starting it up as he buckled in.’
- ‘At beautiful Watermillock, prepare yourself for a day of zip wires and trapezes, abseiling and canoes.’
- ‘The French take to the treetops for high-wire adventure - starring hanging logs, zip lines, and yeah, a jungle rope swing’
- ‘It is also very clever to have a Petzl Mini-Traxion pre-rigged on the top of your zip line for pulling stuff up.’
- ‘Within the first few minutes, you'll be shimmying down zip lines, dashing past armed guards, interrogating prisoners and shooting out lights.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.