One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A supporter of Zionism; a person who believes in the development and protection of a Jewish nation in what is now Israel.‘the artist's parents were committed Zionists’
- ‘A lifelong Zionist, he then moved to Palestine.’
- ‘I became a religous Zionist, moved to Israel, and have never looked back.’
- ‘He was a moderate Zionist, in favor of negotiation over conflict.’
- ‘"I took on this job because my country called on me to do so, and because I am also a Zionist," he said.’
- ‘He was and still is a self-proclaimed Zionist.’
- ‘He was a kind of Zionist himself.’
2(in southern Africa) a member of any of a group of independent Churches which practice a form of Christianity incorporating elements of traditional African beliefs.
- ‘The Zionists combined elements of the indigenous pantheon and rituals with Christian ideas and services to create their own distinctive religious sect.’
- ‘Besides signaling the strength and solidarity of the community, however, ritual dancing also reinforced the personal purity of Zionists.’
- ‘Among the crowd were a number of Sunday pilgrims, location Zionists of various sects.’
- ‘The Zionists emphasize manifestations of the Holy Spirit, including speaking in tongues.’
- ‘Most Zionists have a characteristic form of dress, worn to all services by all members.’
1Relating to or advocating Zionism.‘mainstream Zionist thinking’
- ‘The tug-of-war between my scientific inclinations and my absorption in the Zionist movement has lasted all my life.’
- ‘His real designs lay in the heartlands of the Zionist idea.’
- ‘The Zionist founders were in no mood for compromise.’
- ‘He and other Zionist leaders reacted with indifference.’
- ‘The Zionist mainstream began planning their own fight for independence.’
2Relating to a group of independent Churches in southern Africa which practice a form of Christianity incorporating elements of traditional African beliefs.
- ‘On Sunday she will visit the Zionist Christian Church rally in Limpopo.’
- ‘Similar findings have emerged from a countrywide survey of chiefs, traditional healers and priests from the Zionist denomination.’
- ‘He said part of the St John's Zionist Church in Embangweni had collapsed during the storm.’
- ‘It was encouraging to hear the general secretary of the Union for the Development of Apostolic and Zionist Churches in Zimbabwe and Africa saying every child should be immunised.’
- ‘After that document became public, the African Federation of Churches, made up of charismatic, Apostolic and Zionist churches, came to his defence.’
- ‘Members of the Zionist Christian Church return from Moria where they celebrated Christmas.’
- ‘Members of Apostolic and Zionist churches faced great challenges in the area of water and sanitation.’
- ‘The development is likely to invite war between the local authority and open space worshipers, particularly the apostolic sects and the Zionist churches.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.