Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A magazine, especially a fanzine.
book, volume, hardback, paperback, title, work, tome, opus, treatise, manual, register, almanac, yearbook, compendiumView synonyms
- ‘As a result, the Horvat Collection houses a vast archive of zines - such as NAPA, the long-running zine of the National Fantasy Fan Federation.’
- ‘And I don't really have a favourite website, I prefer books, print magazines and zines.’
- ‘If I wasn't learning about it from friends or college radio, it was via the vast maw of underground 80s zines.’
- ‘Print zines are often photocopied on paper and side- or saddle-stapled.’
- ‘In fact, readership lack alone has caused many individuals to stop publishing zines.’
- ‘Full-colour photos of her early zines show crude drawings superimposed on yellow roses or pages torn from stock reports.’
- ‘Scum was a print zine until issue 14 but at the same time was also on the internet.’
- ‘Unfortunately, despite our lofty plans and the decent quality of the zines, we only put out two issues.’
- ‘It can include cards and posters, even t-shirts, as well as books, zines, and other print media.’
- ‘Actually, I did many zines, but one of them was a review zine called Strands.’
- ‘The already-flourishing youth zine movement took a new turn in the 1990's when zines went online.’
- ‘Scum Magazine was started in 1995 as a small underground print zine.’
- ‘While mainstream magazines would morph into anything to appeal to their demographic, zines seemed authentic.’
- ‘Thousands of kids who had been exchanging print zines jumped at the chance to spread their messages over the Internet.’
- ‘In 1969 Don started Britain's first Diplomacy zine, Albion; the hobby had crossed the ditch.’
- ‘Records by Portland indie and punk bands are for sale, along side rows of homemade, cut and paste-style zines.’
- ‘This is the only print zine I know of around today, which is a stark difference to the dozens of underground zines that were around back in the day.’
- ‘She dabbled in the visual arts, published an idiosyncratic zine called What Are You Dealing With?’
- ‘That includes tables where people can display zines, chapbooks or art books.’
- ‘She has begun to receive recognition in the US and the UK thanks to independent feminist and GLBT magazines and zines.’
- ‘From a scene nurtured by punk rock and zines, it's literate yet accessible, questioning everything but never cynical.’
- ‘Broken Pencil Magazine presents Canada's largest zine fair and festival of alternative culture.’
- ‘Riot Grrrl revolutionized this idea, making the bedroom a place to produce zines, hold all-girl meetings, or play guitar.’
- ‘I publish my own zine attacking the media monopoly, and I also write for the National Post.’
- ‘Anyway, I just photocopied 52 programme zines for the spoken word thing I'm organising.’
- ‘Maybe it's me seeing his work and longing for publications, zines, comics, and ephemera I grew up with.’
- 1.1 A webzine.
- ‘There was an article in an online zine questioning its creation.’
- ‘The zine gets email messages every day thanking it for creating this safe environment.’
- ‘I read a lot of online photography zines, and this is the one I keep coming back to.’
- ‘Workers Online, a weekly online zine, has established itself as the most popular political website in the country.’
- ‘Zine creators post when they have a new issue available, providing cost and contact information.’
- ‘Underground zines are popping up all over to spread information not found on Fox News Channel.’
- ‘I love how it's fostered communities of women such as all the women out there putting together online zines.’
- ‘Interviews with various Webmistresses and reviews of zines and sites for sex toys, books, and other resources also pepper these pages.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.