One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An extremely rich person.
magnate, mogul, big businessman, baron, merchant prince, captain of industry, industrialist, financier, top executive, chief, lord, magnifico, nabob, grandeeView synonyms
- ‘I'm not about to become a zillionaire as a result, but I am making more money.’
- ‘I hate companies that say ‘we're only going to pay you half what you're worth, but the stock options will make you a zillionaire when we go public!’’
- ‘Gibson's a zillionaire, and Smith's a multi-gazillionaire.’
- ‘From the right's point of view, you couldn't invent a better caricature of a New Age Hollywood zillionaire to be the public face of the anti-war movement.’
- ‘IfI were a zillionaire, I'd live in a castle and operate out of the cozy centers of the spaces.’
- ‘Now, here we've got a zillionaire with all the money in the world to buy whatever identity he wants to buy from anywhere at any price.’
- ‘You never know, this time next year we could be zillionaires.’
- ‘So this is the zillionaire luxury yacht lifestyle.’
- ‘The implication throughout the chapter is that these superachievers and zillionaires owe him favors and see him as a brother.’
- ‘Eriksson quits as a result and is later seen in Chelsea village dining with a Russian zillionaire.’
- ‘Wayans Manor was the kind of house the Munsters would have lived in if they'd been zillionaires.’
- ‘The Indian middle classes are fast being Americanised, with the mid-Atlantic masala twang and the mobile telephone washing through the ranks of the rupee zillionaires on a tidal wave.’
- ‘I'm guessing you're something of a zillionaire?’
- ‘They blabbed about their time in the desert, became zillionaires and ruined it for everyone who fancied earning a bit more than the king's shilling.’
- ‘Then they think you're a zillionaire or something.’
- ‘If this guy lived in Silicon Valley, he might be a zillionaire today.’
- ‘If I extrapolate this far enough, I'll be a zillionaire!’
1940s: from zillion, on the pattern of millionaire.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.