One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An extremely rich person.
magnate, mogul, big businessman, baron, merchant prince, captain of industry, industrialist, financier, top executive, chief, lord, magnifico, nabob, grandeeView synonyms
- ‘The Indian middle classes are fast being Americanised, with the mid-Atlantic masala twang and the mobile telephone washing through the ranks of the rupee zillionaires on a tidal wave.’
- ‘I hate companies that say ‘we're only going to pay you half what you're worth, but the stock options will make you a zillionaire when we go public!’’
- ‘They blabbed about their time in the desert, became zillionaires and ruined it for everyone who fancied earning a bit more than the king's shilling.’
- ‘You never know, this time next year we could be zillionaires.’
- ‘Eriksson quits as a result and is later seen in Chelsea village dining with a Russian zillionaire.’
- ‘Gibson's a zillionaire, and Smith's a multi-gazillionaire.’
- ‘From the right's point of view, you couldn't invent a better caricature of a New Age Hollywood zillionaire to be the public face of the anti-war movement.’
- ‘So this is the zillionaire luxury yacht lifestyle.’
- ‘IfI were a zillionaire, I'd live in a castle and operate out of the cozy centers of the spaces.’
- ‘Now, here we've got a zillionaire with all the money in the world to buy whatever identity he wants to buy from anywhere at any price.’
- ‘Then they think you're a zillionaire or something.’
- ‘I'm guessing you're something of a zillionaire?’
- ‘If this guy lived in Silicon Valley, he might be a zillionaire today.’
- ‘If I extrapolate this far enough, I'll be a zillionaire!’
- ‘I'm not about to become a zillionaire as a result, but I am making more money.’
- ‘The implication throughout the chapter is that these superachievers and zillionaires owe him favors and see him as a brother.’
- ‘Wayans Manor was the kind of house the Munsters would have lived in if they'd been zillionaires.’
1940s: from zillion, on the pattern of millionaire.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.