Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Take aim with a gun or missile.‘jet fighters zeroed in on the rebel positions’
focus on, focus attention on, centre on, concentrate on, home in on, fix on, pinpoint, give prominence to, highlight, spotlight, underline, emphasizeView synonyms
- ‘Whatever may be the movement of the target in the sea, the missile will zero in on it.’
- 1.1 Focus one's attention.‘they zeroed in on the clues he gave away about’
focus on, focus attention on, centre on, concentrate on, home in on, fix on, pinpoint, give prominence to, highlight, spotlight, underline, emphasizezoom in onView synonyms
- ‘Inadvertently, I turn my attention to the dance floor again, my eyes zeroing in on someone in a certain blue dress.’
- ‘Having decided to do something extra special, they zeroed in on a Measles Vaccination Programme in India.’
- ‘He's zeroed in on the recent scholarly attention Ben Franklin has been enjoying and yoked that with the equally topical subject of academic plagiarism.’
- ‘It zeroed in on these youngsters in each districts, trained them and affiliated them to the Kudumbasree mission.’
- ‘The BA zeroed in on the mayor on the potholes that fill the roads.’
- ‘He then zeroed in on Monsanto's plans to plant up to 500,000 acres of transgenic soybeans in Venezuela.’
- ‘He zeroed in on the critical assumption of full or perfect information.’
- ‘To gain wisdom from life experiences, youngsters ought to receive training on zeroing in on their inherent talents.’
- ‘A senior Kuwaiti diplomat told this corespondent this evening that the negotiations had now zeroed in on money.’
- ‘When Doris Duke zeroed in on him, he became front-page news.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.