Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The time at which a planned operation, typically a military one, is set to begin.
the appointed time, the appointed hour, the crucial moment, the vital moment, the critical moment, the moment of truth, the moment of decision, the point of decision, the rubicon, the critical point, the cruxView synonyms
- ‘A few minor adjustments were made to the presentation plan, and we set 3 o'clock as zero hour.’
- ‘Accompanied by your other three team members, you begin at zero hour of the Clone Wars.’
- ‘Nervy to begin with, he came close to panic as zero hour approached.’
- ‘‘Tomorrow is zero hour,’ said one of the messages.’
- ‘As zero hour approached, Spanish-language radio stations broadcast appeals for all able-bodied Cuban-Americans to help.’
First World War: from zero + hour.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.