One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for Brahman (sense 3)
- ‘Most modern African herds represent mixtures of two breeds: Africa's native cattle, called taurines, and a slightly larger Asian breed, known as zebu, which was domesticated before it arrived in Africa.’
- ‘None of them merit the same pious attention as our own original zebu.’
- ‘A zebu hybrid cow was found dead, and strange incisions were found on its body.’
- ‘On the bovine family tree, zebu are ten times further removed from the three members of the B. taurus group than those three are from one another.’
Late 18th century: from French zébu, of unknown origin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.