One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Obligatory payment made annually under Islamic law on certain kinds of property and used for charitable and religious purposes.
gift, gifts, donation, donations, charity, handout, handouts, bounty, benefaction, subsidy, offering, offerings, contribution, contributions, endowment, favour, favours, largesseView synonyms
- ‘Giving zakat at the end of Ramadan is also a religious requirement.’
- ‘This is still much lower than what the traditional Muslim is expected to give in zakat.’
- ‘The introduction and organization of zakat in 624 A.D. encouraged accounting for the purpose of zakat calculation and payment.’
- ‘My zakat forces me to unshackle myself from my money, time, and efforts and places them towards good.’
- ‘One of the quickest ways of getting help is to go to the mosque and ask for zakat.’
- ‘There is no income tax in Saudi Arabia, but there is an effective obligation to pay a religious tax called zakat, of about 10%.’
- ‘If they did not discharge your zakat according to Shariah, your zakat obligation will not be fulfilled.’
- ‘While we pray five times and fast and pay our zakat and go to the hajj, we have lost our souls.’
- ‘Many Muslims prefer to give zakat during the holy fasting month of Ramadan.’
- ‘To do this, they emphasised the practice of zakat, or alms giving.’
- ‘Alms are given to the poor; this zakat is another of the five pillars of the faith.’
- ‘In the absence of the Islamic state, zakat is given directly by the individual zakat payers to those stated in the pervious verse of the Quran.’
- ‘Muslims pray five times a day; give alms, or zakat, to the poor; and fast during the month of Ramadan.’
- ‘Donating a share of one's income to charity, zakat, is a fundamental requirement of being a Muslim, more important - some say - than the pilgrimage to Mecca.’
- ‘One of the five pillars of Islam is zakat - giving 2.5% of one's savings each year to charity.’
Via Persian and Urdu from Arabic zakā(t) ‘almsgiving’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.