One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a woman) having a full, rounded figure; plump.‘a zaftig brunette’
big, burly, heavy, tall, bulky, thickset, heavyset, chunky, strapping, powerfully built, hefty, muscular, muscle-bound, brawny, muscly, husky, solid, powerful, sturdy, solidly built, broad-shouldered, strong, big and strong, rugged, herculeanView synonyms
- ‘My American friend drove off with the zaftig owner of the restaurant.’
- ‘Because muscle is denser than fat, a lean, muscular athlete may weigh more than a zaftig woman of the same height who doesn't work out.’
- ‘Her subjects are usually depicted with faraway Botticelli eyes and zaftig physiques, placed amid quasi-Platonic iconographic schemes and classical-looking drapery.’
- ‘There are an unending parade of zaftig, high-chested, round-bottomed babes and bimbos parading in short-shorts and tight tee-shirts all around the track and pit areas.’
- ‘She was zaftig, or, as my younger son would call it, stout.’
- ‘Long has Sebastian peeked through the window to watch his zaftig neighbor across the way undress.’
- ‘He has this zaftig lady friend who is always bugging him to quit and live happily ever after.’
1930s: Yiddish, from German saftig ‘juicy’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.