One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A large log traditionally burned in the fireplace on Christmas Eve.
- ‘A yule log has traditionally been used to start the fire for the following year.’
- ‘The evergreen and the yule log originated from the Norsemen.’
- ‘The hall was stiflingly hot, and as we entered I saw why: directly across from the entrance, flames curled around a massive yule log set in a hearth large enough to hold a small crowd.’
- 1.1 A log-shaped chocolate cake eaten at Christmas.
- ‘Each guild must enter a Christmas table centre, homemade Christmas card, Christmas tea cosy and chocolate yule log.’
- ‘The winners of the monthly competition for the best homemade yule log was Doreen Mulhall.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.