Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A light cotton kimono.
- ‘My sister sent me a birthday present - a gorgeous silky yukata (summer kimono), and some funky kimono fabric cuts she bought at the Asakusa markets.’
- ‘She wore a purple yukata that was tied at the waist with a thin black obi.’
- ‘The kimonos and yukatas are for sale in heaps of colours and styles.’
- ‘Now back in my room in my cotton yukata and nothing else I steam, I generate indoor clouds, I am a walking demonstration of infra-red.’
- ‘His arms were folded in front of him inside the yukata.’
- ‘The green satin obi was matched perfectly with the different colours of her yukata.’
- ‘She then looked down to her body and found that she was wearing a white yukata.’
- ‘The ninja reached down into the folds of my yukata and extracted the letter from an inside pocket.’
- ‘Megumi questioned as she watched Rei in a loose yukata leaving through the gate.’
- ‘Gather lots of old ladies in yukata in a circle around aforementioned tower’
- ‘The ones I loved most were the glossy red yukata and the green Spanish dancing dress.’
- ‘Dressed in her yukata, Rei stepped out and closed the door behind her.’
- ‘Yuki's cheeks turned as pink as her winter yukata.’
- ‘The only problem is it's been ten years since Hiromi last wore her yukata and she doesn't know how to tie mine.’
- ‘Aiko blushed heavily as she quickly donned a yukata.’
- ‘I will be wearing a yukata.’
- ‘Her yukata was large on her, but still clung to her curves where the obi tied around her waist.’
- ‘Guests are encouraged to sign up early for yukata and karaoke contests, as the number of contestants is limited.’
Japanese, from yu hot water (because originally worn indoors after a bath) + kata(bira) light kimono.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.