One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A native or inhabitant of Yugoslavia or its former constituent republics, or a person of Yugoslav descent.
- ‘The Serbs went south, and became known as the South Slavs, or Yugoslavs.’
- ‘To outsiders all Yugoslavs look much the same but that means nothing.’
- ‘As the end of the 1950s approached, the Yugoslavs were operating around 150 Thunderbolts and Mosquitos as well as 400 jet fighters.’
- ‘Although they caught the Yugoslavs by surprise, they were exposed somewhat when they upped a gear.’
- ‘The Yugoslav provides a vivid account of Russian gluttony.’
- ‘After 1918 Croatians were listed as Yugoslavs.’
- ‘Although the Yugoslavs were a bit of an unknown quantity, we were really confident when we went into the game.’
- ‘Greeks, Yugoslavs and Poles were concentrated in enclaves around the suburb.’
- ‘Average Yugoslavs suddenly no longer felt safe in the streets or in their homes.’
Relating to Yugoslavia, its former constituent republics, or its people.
- ‘The 10 women involved were already Yugoslav passport holders and returned to Belgrade after only a few weeks in Manila.’
- ‘Croatia is also a lot more expensive than a lot of the other former Yugoslav republics to live in, yet this still did not send people towards begging.’
- ‘Serbia, one of two Yugoslav republics, makes up 90 percent of Yugoslavia's population of 10 million.’
- ‘The films are the first programming to be broadcast in all six former Yugoslav republics.’
- ‘Though certainly a nationalist, he was by no means the most rightwing exponent in either Serbia or the other former Yugoslav republics.’
- ‘Half of Yugoslav industry collapsed, a quarter of the workforce lost their jobs and social programmes were destroyed.’
- ‘In this poor, tiny, former Yugoslav republic, where unemployment runs at 50%, there are too many similar stories.’
- ‘Croatia is only the second former Yugoslav republic to seek membership.’
- ‘Mr. Russell is currently working on a film about the great scientist of Yugoslav origin, Nikola Tesla.’
- ‘Looking at old Yugoslav science fiction is intriguing.’
From Austrian German Jugoslav, from Croatian jug ‘south’ + Slav.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.