One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The yellow internal part of a bird's egg, which is surrounded by the white, is rich in protein and fat, and nourishes the developing embryo.
- ‘Mix egg yolk and lemon juice, add to flour mixture, and mix to a stiff dough’
- ‘Gently drizzle vinegar over yolks and sprinkle sugar and salt on top.’
- ‘The eggs were then cracked open, and the yolks and whites of the egg samples from the same batch were pooled and homogenized with an electric mixer.’
- ‘The yolks were homogenized with 1 ml water per gram of yolk.’
- ‘Fresh eggs from free-range chickens will produce a stronger binder because of the rich, viscous yolks.’
- ‘These new noodles substitute soy flour for semolina flour and may contain egg whites or yolks to boost protein.’
- ‘In bowl, whisk together sugar and yolks until light yellow and foamy.’
- ‘You may be used to eating the whites and discarding the yolks, but skip that step during pregnancy because the yolks provide extra calories, Vitamin D and folic acid.’
- ‘Use hands to slowly incorporate yolks into potato and flour mixture.’
- ‘When the whites congeal, just spoon some water over the yellow yolks and the albumen will turn white, and you have your runny eggs.’
- ‘Gradually pour half of hot milk mixture over yolks while whisking constantly.’
- ‘Cool and peel eggs, reserving yolks and discarding whites.’
- ‘Separate egg whites and yolks into separate bowls.’
- ‘Leftover raw egg whites and yolks should be put in airtight containers and refrigerated immediately, then used within a day or two.’
- ‘Put the rind, juice, yolks and sugar in a small basin and place over a pan of boiling water.’
- ‘The preserved eggs, with their green-and-yellow yolks and amber whites, cut into segments and arranged around a pile of chopped green peppers like the petals of a flower.’
- ‘Whole egg protein contains yolks and whites, providing a high ratio of indispensable amino acids.’
- ‘Mix the egg yolk, milk, sugar and potato flour together in a small saucepan.’
- ‘To make the custard, separate the eggs and whisk the vanilla sugar into the yolks (save the whites for meringues).’
- ‘Fold the egg whites into the egg yolk and sugar mixture.’
- 1.1Zoology The corresponding part in the ovum or larva of all egg-laying vertebrates and many invertebrates.
- ‘An estimate of the daily amount of yolk deposited on developing ova and the sequence of laying are important when evaluating the total cost of egg production.’
- ‘In this study, we investigated differences in maternally deposited yolk testosterone and DHT in relation to diet quality.’
- ‘In contrast to the fluid yolk of atherinomorphs, yolk is organized into globules in other taxa.’
- ‘Fleischer used gel electrophoresis to discriminate yolk allozymes sampled from eggs laid by several female cowbirds.’
- ‘For example, yolk was present in male blood plasma, which is highly abnormal.’
Old English geol(o)ca, from geolu ‘yellow’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.