One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A grand champion sumo wrestler.
- ‘The former yokozuna is expected to continue to be an occasional sumo commentator with some TV stations as well’
- ‘One yokozuna had given away FIVE kinboshi - a modern record - and won only nine of his 15 contests.’
- ‘The two yokozuna then strolled down their respective hanamichi to battle for the title.’
- ‘He has proven himself to be a remarkable yokozuna, and his last yusho was a classic example of sheer will and determination.’
- ‘The Samoan-born yokozuna, the winner of 12 titles, has struggled unsuccessfully for two years with a wrist injury.’
- ‘By tradition a yokozuna, once anointed, cannot be demoted.’
Japanese, from yoko ‘crosswise’ + tsuna ‘rope’ (originally denoting a kind of belt presented to the champion).
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.