One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A toxic crystalline compound obtained from the bark of the yohimbe tree, used as an adrenergic blocking agent and also in the treatment of impotence.
An alkaloid; chemical formula: C₂₁H₂₆O₃N₂
- ‘Before Viagra was developed, doctors sometimes prescribed a natural compound called yohimbine derived from the bark of an African tree.’
- ‘After one month placebo-treated patients were crossed over to yohimbine and yohimbine patients continued in the same manner.’
- ‘Two open reports have suggested that yohimbine is an effective treatment for SSRI-induced sexual dysfunction.’
- ‘Another type of treatment consisted of the oral administration of a drug known as yohimbine.’
- ‘Small amounts of yohimbine can improve central-nervous-system stimulation when taken alone or with low doses of caffeine.’
Late 19th century: from yohimbe + -ine.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.