One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A semisolid sourish food prepared from milk fermented by added bacteria, often sweetened and flavored.
- ‘She's always full of pizza, yoghurt, different cheeses and her favourite drink, milk.’
- ‘You can freeze your starter yogurt in ice cube trays so that it is convenient to have on hand.’
- ‘Whizz the avocado, yoghurt, milk, lemon juice and vinegar in a blender until smooth.’
- ‘For starters we both chose rosette of smoked salmon with a sour cream and fresh dill yoghurt.’
- ‘The frozen yoghurt is simply a vanilla smoothie chucked into an ice cream machine.’
- ‘Cream and yoghourt are by products of milk so they are dairy.’
- ‘Chilled soup of Jaffa orange and natural yoghurt and oregano ice cream is served in the summer.’
- ‘They began to produce milk and yogurt for sale at the beginning of 1987.’
- ‘Mix the water and yoghurt together, add a pinch of salt and a drop of oil.’
- ‘For breakfast I am to have muesli, yogurt and berries, which are all quite delicious.’
- ‘When the beans are cold he stirred in more fresh dill and enough strained Greek yoghurt to bind them into a soft dip.’
- ‘Mix equal parts lowfat mayonnaise and yogurt and use to dress coleslaw or potato salad.’
- ‘Add pureed spinach to yoghurt instead of cream for a version of creamed spinach.’
- ‘This dish consists of pork, chicken and veal cooked in yogurt and garlic.’
- ‘Cram the lumps of chicken into hot pitta bread with the spiced yoghurt and some shredded crisp lettuce.’
- ‘For a sweet and crunchy snack, mix a handful of bran flakes with some low-fat yogurt.’
- ‘Eat organic yoghurt bought solely because it is made by a woman called Rachel.’
- ‘Le Petit Suisse is not yogurt, but a very rich little pot of fresh, sweet fromage frais.’
- ‘There is bacteria in yogurt that breaks down lactose prior to digestion.’
- ‘Frozen yogurt is lower in fat, calories and cholesterol than ice cream, and it bursts with flavour.’
Early 17th century: from Turkish yoǧurt.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.