One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A Hindu spiritual and ascetic discipline, a part of which, including breath control, simple meditation, and the adoption of specific bodily postures, is widely practiced for health and relaxation.
The yoga widely known in the West is based on hatha yoga, which forms one aspect of the ancient Hindu system of religious and ascetic observance and meditation, the highest form of which is raja yoga and the ultimate aim of which is spiritual purification and self-understanding leading to samadhi or union with the divine
- ‘This process is the only kind of yoga that you can actually practice by eating.’
- ‘The yoga and tai chi classes alone provide sufficient exercise’
- ‘Take a dance or yoga class, or sign up at a gym and ask a trainer to help you use the weights.’
- ‘We learn yoga and meditation but the practice slips away when you are caught up with work.’
- ‘Babies as young as six weeks are being supported through yoga postures by specially trained staff.’
- ‘He practises yoga and he reads the Hindu bible.’
- ‘Take up meditation and yoga so there is minimal steam to let off.’
- ‘I read books on yoga and Ayurveda.’
- ‘A discipline such as yoga promotes fitness and bodily awareness.’
- ‘A yogi, or yogin is one who practices yoga or who, in a more general sense, is a Hindu ascetic.’
- ‘There are many ways to practise yoga beyond getting on a mat and moving through postures.’
- ‘Prices include three four-course dinners, breakfast every day and five yoga classes.’
- ‘Every week, Rachel performs two nights in a club and teaches dance and yoga classes.’
- ‘I have been to yoga classes twice and thought it was hard.’
- ‘He's into yoga.’
- ‘In the East yoga is much more than an exercise system.’
- ‘Even in her 80s she kept up her yoga and dance classes, and could still perform a headstand.’
- ‘It doesn't have to be about a specific daily yoga practice or philosophy or teacher.’
- ‘There are a number of yoga for pregnancy classes available in North Yorkshire.’
- ‘Raja yoga is the yoga of meditation.’
Sanskrit, literally ‘union’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.