One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A rude, noisy, and aggressive young person.
lout, boor, barbarian, neanderthal, churl, clown, gawk, hulk, bumpkin, yokelView synonyms
- ‘We have let these people down - the yobs and their yob parents - and now we are paying the price.’
- ‘You have restored my faith in human nature and it proves that not all young people are yobs or thugs.’
- ‘Most vandals and yobs are created by irresponsible and neglectful parents.’
- ‘Residents are being driven out of their homes by young yobs and hooligans who are making their lives a misery.’
- ‘Lives could be put at risk by yobs vandalising water hydrants so they can cool down in warm weather.’
- ‘He was knocked to the ground and kicked repeatedly in the face by the yobs who threatened to kill him unless he handed over cash.’
- ‘Schoolboy Will Greer watched in horror as two yobs rode off on his prized BMX bike.’
- ‘They urged police to crack down on racist yobs before youths took the law into their own hands.’
- ‘Police today launched an eight-week blitz on drunken yobs around Greater Manchester.’
- ‘The forum thinks night life in Kingston is only for the noisy, the rowdy and drug-taking yobs.’
- ‘He said tougher standards were needed to crack down on thugs and drunken yobs.’
- ‘However there is a hardcore of yobs and vandals who don't give a monkeys about fox hunting.’
- ‘Drastic measures need to be taken such as dusk to dawn curfews on thugs and yobs roaming our neighbourhood.’
- ‘A school is having to fork out to buy security cameras after yobs broke in and embarked on a spree of vandalism.’
- ‘Traders in the area, off London Road, have been heavily targeted in the past by vandals and yobs.’
- ‘Residents have appealed for police patrols to be stepped up to rid an estate of yobs and vandals.’
- ‘A popular skate park could be closed down because problems with yobs have reached crisis point.’
- ‘Police say a clampdown on louts is working after two teenage yobs were hauled before the courts.’
- ‘A woman who is a repeat victim of car vandals has hit out against the yobs who damage property.’
- ‘The brothers were described as yobs and louts by the judge in the Damilola trial.’
Mid 19th century: back slang for boy.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.