One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in Chinese philosophy) the passive female principle of the universe, characterized as female and sustaining and associated with earth, dark, and cold.Contrasted with yang
- ‘He followed no strict religious beliefs, yet was quite a student of Lao Tsu and the philosophy of yin and yang.’
- ‘When yin and yang lose their relative balance and coordination, disease occurs.’
- ‘When the yin and yang elements in the body are well balanced, the person is in good health and he falls ill when the balance is disrupted.’
- ‘These five elemental phases also correspond to the three yin and the three yang of the universe.’
- ‘Just as the mother archetype corresponds to the Chinese yin, so the father archetype corresponds to the yang.’
- ‘It is their quest to balance themselves, to bring their yin and yang into harmony, that drives the movie.’
- ‘The yin and yang aspects within an object are not quiescent, but in a state of constant motion.’
- ‘When yin and yang are in harmony, chi flows freely within the body and a person is healthy.’
- ‘Male and female, yin and yang, are in a constant cycling between one another.’
- ‘Almost every film made, anywhere in the world, follows the spirit of the yin and the yang.’
- ‘Traditional Chinese philosophy embraced these as yin and yang, each of which contain the seed of the other.’
- ‘The Tao's all about balancing the yin and the yang, and in this case, it's no surprise a woman saves the day.’
- ‘In general, people have two types of physical condition: either the yin dominates or the yang does.’
- ‘Starting in ancient times, the Chinese people began to explain the universe in terms of yin and yang.’
- ‘Like the two halves of the yin and yang, sex and death are inextricably intertwined in the human psyche.’
- ‘Females are yin and males are yang, which means than women have a cool physical condition and men have a hot one.’
- ‘They still dressed as if the were the reflection of yin and yang, but that had become pure habit by now.’
- ‘I needed to balance my yin and yang energies - and, oh yes, get my adrenals working again.’
- ‘In this way, the yin and yang provide a guiding metaphor for online learning environment.’
- ‘She likes to keep my purse sealed up pretty tight, which is good yin to my yang.’
From Chinese yīn ‘feminine’, ‘moon’, ‘shade’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.