Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The quality of being Jewish; the Jewish way of life or its customs and practices.
- ‘The ethics of Yiddishkeit, of Jewish humanism, did not come out of the air.’
- ‘Well, together we started exploring how to connect ourselves to Jewish life, and I'm happy to say that our growing devotion to Yiddishkeit in many forms had a profound impact on one of my stepsons, who is now a Hillel Director.’
- ‘The entire scope of Yiddishkeit will benefit by looking more closely into the mystical understanding.’
- ‘Like Sophie Tucker, the later Woody Allen and Ben Katchor, Cahan had merged Yiddishkeit with popular culture.’
- ‘It will help me start back on the road to Yiddishkeit, and get me closer to Hash-m.’
Late 19th century: from Yiddish yidishkeyt.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.