One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1An Orthodox Jewish college or seminary.
- ‘The head of the yeshiva was the great Jewish leader Rabbi Moshe Feinstein.’
- ‘He took it as a sign from Heaven, signaling the end of a 34-year exile (14 years studying in the yeshiva of Shem and Ever, and 20 years in Lavan's home).’
- ‘In the yeshiva (nowadays there are similar institutes for women) young men - most of them not pursuing a rabbinical vocation - are introduced to traditional Torah study, with its devout intensity.’
- ‘Many yeshivas continue to focus on the halachah, the law, without much balance in study of the agadata, which provides profound teachings that illuminate a vast amount of hidden wisdom in the Talmud.’
- ‘These aspects of his guidance of the yeshiva became unforgettable to students even after they had grown up and whenever they thought back about their studies at an earlier time in their lives.’
- ‘For one thing, all the normative institutions - the yeshivas, the synagogues, etc. - were all run by the mainstream Jews and were functioning.’
- ‘But they don't find yeshivas and synagogues there.’
- ‘If you visit Jerusalem today, you will be moved by its beauty, its expanse, its bursting population, its thousands of Torah scholars and its scores of yeshivas.’
- ‘I have gotten the privlage to study at the Rosh Yeshivas yeshiva in Jerusalem.’
- ‘Almost all the students have experienced this ‘dual curriculum’ earlier in their education, and most have spent a year or two after high school at Israeli yeshivas, where they studied Torah full time.’
- ‘Along with a group of businessmen I was with, I had the opportunity to have an audience with Rabbi Noson Tzvi Finkel, the head of a yeshiva there [Mir Yeshiva].’
- ‘Rather, they spend at least a year at a yeshiva or a girls' seminary in Israel, where they are drawn into a religious environment considerably to the right of that with which they are familiar in West Orange.’
- ‘Most rabbis must study for a number of years in a yeshiva, a Jewish institute of higher learning, before they have the knowledge needed to even understand the material they have to study to pass the exams.’
- ‘Musar is now mostly a minor subject on the curriculum of yeshivas and seminaries.’
- ‘Today we can see hassidic sects who have become quite scholarship-minded, opening their own yeshivas and studying the Talmud intensely.’
- ‘In fact, however, I am a 20-year-old Jewish student from Chicago, studying at a yeshiva in Jerusalem.’
- ‘Back then, I was pretty good in cheder, so the Jews of our community thought they would do a wonderful thing and collect enough money to send me to a yeshiva to become a rabbi.’
- ‘Although I had imagined myself as a seeker of spirituality since having entered the yeshiva several years before, faith had been a topic that eluded me.’
- ‘For eighteen centuries, Judaism would develop as a religion, based around synagogues and rabbis, yeshivas and the ethical teachings of Tora and Talmud.’
- ‘This included the entire Mir Yeshiva, the only yeshiva to survive the war intact, and a number of eminent Talmudic scholars from the Telshe and Longa Yeshivot in Poland.’
- 1.1 An Orthodox Jewish elementary or secondary school.
- ‘In contrast, 13 years of yeshiva education left me with the impression that Christians were instinctive anti-Semites who aren't even open-minded enough to face up to their prejudices.’
- ‘The yeshivas, the religious schools to which the Hasidic Jews attend, want to prove that their students are physically fit as well as intellectually stimulated.’
- ‘The 1967 war was happening when I was a sixth-grader and in yeshiva we were all encouraged to cheer on the brave Jewish soldiers.’
- ‘In elementary school yeshiva, for example, I learned that the label on food means an item is truly Kosher but that a K label cannot be trusted.’
- ‘Danny attends a Hassidic yeshiva, a school devoted entirely to Judaism.’
- ‘Amongst the large number of books published in the community, I concentrated only on books and manuals meant for yeshiva students.’
- ‘‘But you have a very long day in yeshiva,’ I said to one student.’
- ‘I went to yeshiva for 15 years, I don't think we discussed the messiah for 10 minutes.’
- ‘My years in yeshiva were spectacular, in some measure because they were so intensely fueled by a totally denied sexuality.’
- ‘c Special issues for yeshiva students, instructing young scholars on issues of money, work and the right decisions for every yeshiva student.’
From Hebrew yĕšīḇāh.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.