One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A marine fish that has yellow coloration on the fins, especially a number of species prized as food fish.
Several genera and species, including the large sport fish yellowtail (Seriola lalandi, family Carangidae) of southern California, the yellowtail flounder (Limanda ferruginea, family Pleuronectidae) of the Atlantic coast from Labrador to Virginia, and the yellowtail snapper (Ocyurus chrysurus, family Lutjanidae) of Bermuda and the West Indies
- ‘The new company would also aim to be in the forefront of developing other species in farmed versions - sturgeon, tilapia, yellowtail, barramundi, halibut, cod, are amongst those mentioned.’
- ‘Species on the east coast include the following - yellowfin, kawakawa and longtail tuna, black and striped marlin, yellowtail and sharks.’
- ‘It rained of course - sheets of icy splinters, wind in breath-robbing gusts - but the pioneering spirit soon takes over and you learn to fish in the lulls between outbursts, using the small yellow-tails as bait to catch a juicy snapper.’
- ‘I get back to the boat and find that the usual yellow-tail snappers have been displaced from the shadow under the boat by a local character called Elvis, a very large great barracuda.’
- ‘A smaller and more spread-out shoal of yellow-tail snappers cruise in and out, the dense shoals of saupe and bream parting to let them through.’
- ‘Mr. Green commented on my shirt du jour, a blue Guy Thayer done up in dolphins, yellowtails, mackerel and ocean spray that I bought on an NSA trip to Miami with my friend Joe Huston from Kokomo Marketing.’
- ‘For the yellowtail jack: Season fish with salt and pepper.’
- ‘As usual, a fair to strong current was running from north to south, and we let it glide us through the schools of game fish, big-eye jack, yellow-tail jack, Bank steenbras, German, slinger, and mangrove snapper.’
- ‘And not just any fish, mind you, but tasty ones, like flying fish, yellowtail and blowfish - the forbidden fugu - plus spiny, slimy things like ebi, abalone and crawfish.’
- ‘The tuna, salmon and yellow-tail sashimi far outshines the sushi you get in the ‘sushi and sashimi’ mix, as the balance is upset in the sushi rolls, perhaps by the taste of mayo, which tends to overshadow other small ingredients.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.