One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A migratory sandpiper with bright yellow legs, breeding in Alaska and Canada.
- ‘Next he let loose with the melodious song of the goldfinch and followed this closely with the ‘whew, whew, whew, ‘of the greater yellowlegs, a migratory wading bird.’’
- ‘In November, away from our yards, along our coasts, only yellowlegs linger.’
- ‘Often clouds of black skimmers, yellowlegs and a half-dozen species of sandpipers would wheel over our duck decoys, occasionally alighting right in the middle of them.’
- ‘A yellowlegs flew over the pond calling loudly.’
- ‘In the mud flats of the Bay of Fundy, you'll see large roosts of shorebirds - plovers, yellowlegs, godwits, curlews, and phalaropes - at high tide.’
- ‘In autumn its mudflats host migrant shorebirds including plovers, yellowlegs, and sandpipers, and warblers are common in woodlands at both ends of the pond.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.