One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A cheap and typically sensational novel, with a yellow board or cloth binding.
volume, tome, work, printed work, publication, title, opus, treatiseView synonyms
- ‘There is some wear but generally this is a very good copy of a yellowback.’
- ‘This website celebrates this process with sections on printing technology, illustrations, lithography, wood engraving, the novel, yellowbacks, penny dreadfuls and children's books.’
- ‘The volumes shown here are typical examples of Ward & Lock's early small format and later large format yellowbacks.’
- ‘This is the first volume in what will be a multi-volume set devoted to a bibliography of over 25 publishers of Victorian yellowbacks and paperbacks.’
- ‘Being victims of their own success, many dime novels and yellowbacks are fragile or in poor repair.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.