Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1another term for yellow flag
- ‘Yellow fever was also called "yellow jack" from the quarantine flag (or jack) raised on incoming ships by port inspection officers when suspicious signs were found in passengers or crew members.’
2archaic term for yellow fever
- ‘Yellow fever, also known as yellow jack for the quarantine flag flown by ships at sea, became one of the most feared diseases throughout urban America.’
- ‘Not even inland towns were safe from the fever known as yellow jack.’
- ‘Yellow Jack or yellow fever is spread by the yellow-fever mosquito (known also as the "Tiger" mosquito).’
- ‘Yellow fever (also called yellow jack, black vomit or sometimes American Plague) is an acute viral disease.’
- ‘For more than 250 years, the yellow jack had ravaged the Americas, bringing death to millions and striking panic in entire populations.’
3An edible marine fish with yellowish underparts, found primarily in the Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean Sea.
- ‘They are known as ‘big buses ‘because of the way they attract passengers, including juvenile yellow jack and golden kingfish.’’
- ‘This picture is typical of yellow jacks in shape and fin arrangement but the coloration is not the norm.’
- ‘Another edible game fish is the yellow jack, a strong fast-moving family, carnivorous and silver in color with a yellow tail which gives it a distinctive look.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.