One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1another term for yellow flag (sense 1)
- ‘Yellow fever was also called "yellow jack" from the quarantine flag (or jack) raised on incoming ships by port inspection officers when suspicious signs were found in passengers or crew members.’
2archaic term for yellow fever
- ‘Yellow fever, also known as yellow jack for the quarantine flag flown by ships at sea, became one of the most feared diseases throughout urban America.’
- ‘Yellow fever (also called yellow jack, black vomit or sometimes American Plague) is an acute viral disease.’
- ‘Not even inland towns were safe from the fever known as yellow jack.’
- ‘For more than 250 years, the yellow jack had ravaged the Americas, bringing death to millions and striking panic in entire populations.’
- ‘Yellow Jack or yellow fever is spread by the yellow-fever mosquito (known also as the "Tiger" mosquito).’
3An edible marine fish with yellowish underparts, found primarily in the Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean Sea.
Caranx bartholomaei, family Carangidae
- ‘They are known as ‘big buses ‘because of the way they attract passengers, including juvenile yellow jack and golden kingfish.’’
- ‘Another edible game fish is the yellow jack, a strong fast-moving family, carnivorous and silver in color with a yellow tail which gives it a distinctive look.’
- ‘This picture is typical of yellow jacks in shape and fin arrangement but the coloration is not the norm.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.