One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a bird) having a yellow bill. Used in the name of numerous such birds, including.
- ‘On the right is the bill from a yellow-billed cuckoo.’
- ‘Lots and lots of wildlife, especially birds - wild ducks, quail, hummingbirds, yellow-billed cuckoos, which are very rare.’
- ‘You may glimpse such transients as the yellow-billed cuckoo, American redstart, or ruby-throated hummingbird, along with the indigenous scarlet macaw, king vulture, black catbird, or the keel-billed toucan, Belize's national bird.’
- ‘A few species have alternative strategies; yellow-billed kookaburras raise their head feathers when threatened, revealing two black spots that resemble large eyes.’
- ‘Look out for the doctor bird; yellow-billed parrot; black-billed parrot; rare Jamaican iguana.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.