One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A veil concealing all of the face except the eyes, worn by some Muslim women in public.
face covering, veilingView synonyms
- ‘There were 79 women, 11 with heads uncovered, the rest split between headscarves and black flowing abayas; 11 Shia turbans, 22 yashmaks, one Kurdish tribal headwrap and a sea of Western suits.’
- ‘Patricia has taken to wearing a yashmak to increase her allure.’
- ‘Your yarmulke or your yashmak needn't be discarded; they will become American things.’
- ‘The yashmak is tied around the back of the head with string and is sometimes also supported over the nose by a small piece of gold.’
- ‘I go to the South of France and I don't wear a yashmak, but I do wear factor 15 suncream.’
- ‘‘As soon as they leave, I'm taking off my hat,’ he said, tipping his red baseball cap emblazoned with the corps' emblem, ‘and putting on a yashmak,’ the head scarf sometimes worn by resistance fighters.’
Mid 19th century: via Arabic from Turkish.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.