Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(in Chinese philosophy) the active male principle of the universe, characterized as male and creative and associated with heaven, heat, and light.Contrasted with yin
- ‘The mixture of heat and cold and the disharmony of yin and yang causes coldness of the limbs.’
- ‘We have a lot of notions of union: yin and yang, male and female, wisdom and compassion.’
- ‘The south side has the male yang qualities dominated by the sun, being more exposed and a much warmer, drier side.’
- ‘We know, after all, that his batting, when the karma is right and the yin and the yang aligned, is unmatched for spectacle and effect.’
- ‘Females are yin and males are yang, which means than women have a cool physical condition and men have a hot one.’
- ‘Male and female, yin and yang, are in a constant cycling between one another.’
- ‘In medical treatment, the theory of yin and yang is not only used to decide the principles of treatment.’
- ‘That was all wrong though; there was only black and white in the world, good and evil, dark and light, sun and moon, yin and yang.’
- ‘The center's charter is to keep everything on an even keel - keep the yin equal to the yang.’
- ‘These five elemental phases also correspond to the three yin and the three yang of the universe.’
- ‘The Tao's all about balancing the yin and the yang, and in this case, it's no surprise a woman saves the day.’
- ‘Perhaps the still work serves as a balance for Doyle - the yin to the yang of his frenetic cinematography.’
- ‘The slight chills are caused by weakness of the yang which follows injury to the yin.’
- ‘Like yin and yang, philosophers and magicians formed two sides of the same coin.’
- ‘And so I think that the sobriety and drunkenness is kind of like a yin and a yang.’
- ‘In general, people have two types of physical condition: either the yin dominates or the yang does.’
- ‘Finally, in China, the moon and the sun are representative of the perfect yin and the perfect yang in the well-known yinyang symbol.’
- ‘Just as the mother archetype corresponds to the Chinese yin, so the father archetype corresponds to the yang.’
- ‘He also established the theory of yin and yang, which became the foundation of Chinese culture and philosophy.’
- ‘He's yin to the yang of DLH's narrator, whose personality subsumes the world into bit players in the movie of his life.’
- ‘He followed no strict religious beliefs, yet was quite a student of Lao Tsu and the philosophy of yin and yang.’
- ‘Traditional Chinese philosophy embraced these as yin and yang, each of which contain the seed of the other.’
From Chinese yáng male genitals sun positive.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.