One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A member of an indigenous people living in scattered settlements in northern Siberia.
- ‘Among the native peoples in other northern regions - the Dene of North America; the Yakuts of Siberia; the Sami of Scandinavia, Finland, and western Russia; and many others - similar sentiments are held.’
- ‘He told me that he has established 42 parishes but can find only 17 clergy to staff them, only one of whom is a Yakut.’
- ‘The Yakuts call him ‘The White Master Creator.’’
2The Turkic language of the Yakut.
- ‘In case it's not clear by now, the language is Yakut, spoken in the Republic of Yakutia in the Russian Federation.’
Relating to the Yakut or their language.
- ‘In August 1900 a Yakut tribesman hunting elk along the Berezovka River, in far eastern Siberia, came upon the head and forelimbs of a monstrous creature - its nose the length of a year-old reindeer calf - protruding from the bank.’
- ‘The Yakut corporation, Alrosa, a world leading diamond producer, is one of the largest companies in Russia.’
- ‘Among the Siberian Yakut shamans, the initiate dreams of being ripped apart by a giant ‘hook’: ‘The bones are cleaned, the flesh scraped, the body fluids thrown away, and the eyes torn out of their sockets’.’
Via Russian from Yakut.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.