Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The secondary or vertical axis of a system of coordinates, points along which have a value of zero for all other coordinates.Compare with x-axis
- ‘Meeting spaces around the building are plotted along the y-axis, session times along the x.’
- ‘The y-axis indicates the number of individuals within each category of average tail moment.’
- ‘Note variation in the scale of the y-axis among plots.’
- ‘The more energy available, the higher up the Y-axis the profile is on the graph.’
- ‘The y-axis shows the relative increase in the sex comb teeth associated with the double mutants.’
- ‘The x-axis shows the population in millions whilst the y-axis shows different age ranges.’
- ‘All data sets have nonzero intercepts of the regression lines with the y-axis.’
- ‘The fitted lines are for the regression of the square root of the y-axis variable on log shoot dry weight.’
- ‘Consecutive locations outlining an ' impact corridor ' are linked along the y-axis.’
- ‘For graphical purposes, the cubic function in (a) is not extended below the y-axis.’
- ‘The y-axis is the fraction of sequences falling into a particular bin.’
- ‘Start to draw the slope at the left-hand vertical line of grid, which is the y-axis.’
- ‘Significant differences are for the photosynthetic rates on the y-axis.’
- ‘The Y-axis of the graph counts up the density of the molecules, in number of molecules per cubic centimeter of atmosphere.’
- ‘For graphical purposes, a log scale is used for the y-axis.’
- ‘Note the differences in the scale of the y-axis.’
- ‘The Y-axis shows the frequency of a prevalent mutation for each of the lines.’
- ‘The y-axis indicates the number of markers corresponding to each distance class.’
- ‘Lines represent regressions of linear portion of each curve extrapolated to the y-axis.’
- ‘The y-axis on each part is square root of HDL cholesterol centered on the cross-specific mean.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.