One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Abnormal dryness of the conjunctiva and cornea of the eye, with inflammation and ridge formation, typically associated with vitamin A deficiency.
- ‘The abundant vitamin A contained in these foods can prevent vision decline and eye diseases like coronal dryness, night blindness and xerophthalmia, another form of dryness in the eye.’
- ‘Of these, 9 children had overt vitamin A deficiency as evident by the presence of xerophthalmia.’
- ‘This product has lost most of its vitamins A and D, which are needed to ward off xerophthalmia (an eye disease) and rickets.’
- ‘A guide to their use in the treatment and prevention of vitamin A deficiency and xerophthalmia.’
- ‘In the early 1990s, results from observational studies showed an increased mortality among children with clinical xerophthalmia.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.