One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A tissue graft or organ transplant from a donor of a different species from the recipient.
- ‘As reported previously, tracheal xenografts were established in nude mice by subcutaneously inserting denuded rat trachal matrix repopulated with human respiratory epithelium isolated from cadaveric airways.’
- ‘Of the six kidney xenografts performed that year, all six suffered cellular rejection within the first 60 days.’
- ‘The H-MESO1 xenografts used in these studies were grown s.c. in a mouse host, and some necrosis was evident as the tumors grew.’
- ‘Traditional products, such as xenograft and allograft, are still widely used in burn care.’
- ‘The project licence specified that the xenograft would be placed in the right knee of the recipient animal: in some cases it was placed in the left knee instead.’
- ‘Attempts at ovarian tissue autograft or xenograft without blood vessel anastamoses in animal models and human cases have been promising but hampered by large follicle loss due to ischemia.’
- ‘However, we were able to examine the transport of the anti-hSC Fv-based fusion proteins from the circulation to the lumenal surface of human epithelia in tracheal xenografts.’
- ‘In this report, we show that such targeted agents are transported across respiratory epithelia lining human tracheal xenografts, and its transcytosis paralleled expression of hpIgR.’
- ‘Examples of a temporary covering are cadaveric allograft from an unrelated donor, xenograft (such as pigskin), synthetic products, and cultured epithelial autograft.’
- ‘In terms of the biology of the tissue, more vascularized organs, xenografts (non-species specific), and non-pretreated fresh grafts all lead to a severe host response.’
- ‘Intratumoral injected methylene blue plus red light illumination was also effective against human colon tumor xenografts, with destruction of 75% of tumors after a single treatment.’
- ‘DeWitte and colleagues also recently demonstrated that HYP is a photoactive anticancer agent in A431 skin tumor cell xenografts, and basal cell carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma in patients.’
- ‘Complement-mediated rejection of nerve cell xenografts presents an important obstacle to effectively replacing damaged cells in the central nervous system.’
- ‘Another small preclinical study demonstrated improved tumor response for human rectal-carcinoma xenografts treated with PDT under hyperbaric oxygen.’
- ‘The organ shortage meant a new look at the use of xenograft organs - from other species.’
- ‘In 1992 Pfeifer and others found that a factor could be identified in xenografts from G. cydonium that cross-reacted immunologically with an antibody raised against a mammalian tumor necrosis factor.’
- ‘In 1982 I did an interview with Robyn for the Science Show on transplantation, and somewhere in that long interview I made a comment about possible use of monkey tissue perhaps one day and this is now big news in terms of xenografts.’
- ‘Concern has centered on the risk of introducing novel pathogens derived from animals into human recipients of xenografts.’
- ‘The unit will also focus on research related to biodegradable stents, focus on cryopreservation of cardiac homografts, xenografts and decellularisation of tissue and autograft engineering, the release added.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.