One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A synthetic drug that blocks pancreatic enzymes used in the digestion of fats, used to treat obesity.
- ‘The two leading obesity drugs, Xenical and Meridia, have unpleasant side effects such as diarrhea or high blood pressure, so analysts think Acomplia will quickly win market share if approved.’
- ‘Products included the anti-impotence drug Viagra, the antidepressant Prozac and the anti-obesity drug Xenical.’
- ‘Of the 3,304 at-risk patients who participated in the study, all of whom made healthy lifestyle changes, the risk of developing type 2 diabetes was 37% lower in those treated with Xenical.’
- ‘The drug orlistat, or Xenical, which blocks the body's ability to absorb dietary fat, also shows promise.’
- ‘Roche is the maker of the weight loss drug Xenical.’
1990s: of unknown origin.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.