Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A crystalline compound found in blood and urine which is an intermediate in the metabolic breakdown of nucleic acids to uric acid.
- ‘Xanthine oxidase catalyses the oxidation of xanthine and hypoxanthine to uric acid and is a well-known producer of superoxide radicals.’
- ‘Stones can be composed of calcium, oxalate, urate, cystine, xanthine, phosphate, or all of these.’
- ‘It appears that the purine metabolic system in humans has found a way to avoid the overproduction of uric acid by downregulating the Xor gene expression, the product converting hypoxanthine to xanthine and further xanthine to uric acid.’
- ‘Xanthine oxidase activity was evaluated by the spectrophotometric measurement of the formation of uric acid from xanthine.’
- ‘Red beets, another highly colored vegetable, get their scarlet color from a combination of the purple pigment cyanin and the yellow pigment xanthin.’
- 1.1 Any of the derivatives of this, including caffeine and related alkaloids.
- ‘Ice cream gives a little calcium, and chocolate offers plant chemicals called xanthins that can be healthful in moderation.’
- ‘From that time forward into the present, methyl xanthines have been used, most often in the form of theophylline or the water-soluble, related compound aminophylline, for the treatment of asthma.’
- ‘The main components of this tea are natural xanthines such as caffeine, theobromine, theophylline and tanni.’
- ‘Ephedrine and the xanthines, such as caffeine and theophylline, increase metabolic rate.’
- ‘Methyl xanthines (caffeine, theophylline and theobromine) are found in seeds and leaves of a variety of unrelated plant species, including coffee, tea, cocoa, cola and mate.’
Mid 19th century: from xanthic + -ine.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.