One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The scattering of X-rays by the regularly spaced atoms of a crystal, useful in obtaining information about the structure of the crystal.
- ‘But these crystals did not give regular X-ray diffraction patterns.’
- ‘There was fair agreement between qualitative mineral content determined by X-ray diffraction and mineral content calculated from chemical results.’
- ‘To better understand how lanthanum improved the catalyst, the researchers used X-ray diffraction and other structural analyses to characterize its surface.’
- ‘Mineral identification was made using petrographic and stereo-zoom microscopic methods, and additionally by using powder X-ray diffraction and energy-dispersive analysis on the scanning electron microscope.’
- ‘An examination by X-ray diffraction revealed that the acicular inclusions were indeed beryl, an uncommon mineral from the area.’
- ‘So far, a number of AAMYs from different species have been crystallized and analyzed by X-ray diffraction.’
- ‘All crystals were prepared and X-ray diffraction data collected at 110 K as described.’
- ‘In contrast, the most utilized tool for the characterization of a mineral's crystal structure is X-ray diffraction.’
- ‘Recently, the 3-D structure of the E. coli enzyme has been determined by X-ray diffraction thereby making clear the topography of active and inhibitor sites as well as the mechanism of inhibition.’
- ‘A US team has recently discovered a new antitumor agent in one of these marine bacteria and by exploiting X-ray diffraction and spectroscopy have determined its precise structure, offering a new target for synthetic chemists to focus on.’
- ‘Polarized light microscopy and X-ray diffraction have been used to investigate the orientation of cellulose microfibrils in the cell walls and this can be used to explain differences in mechanical behaviour.’
- ‘Work towards the elucidation of LeOPR structure by X-ray diffraction is in progress (A Schaller, personal communication) and will yield an even better understanding of the relationship between yeast and plant OYEs.’
- ‘The pattern of X-ray diffraction reveals the three-dimensional structure of the protein.’
- ‘Several methods have been used to crystallize the adduct: one crystal of a size suitable for single-crystal X-ray diffraction was obtained only by diffusion of n-hexane into a chloroform solution of the adduct.’
- ‘Several different mineral species in the cavities have been identified by X-ray diffraction, scanning electron microscopy, and chemical EDS analysis.’
- ‘Current methodology restricts the probe to looking at only the amorphous regions of the polymer, but it ‘complements techniques such as X-ray diffraction which look at only the crystalline region of the samples’, Gleason says.’
- ‘A materials analyst can determine what elements are present by using a scanning electron microscope, and can identify the reaction products by using X-ray diffraction.’
- ‘Prior to the discovery of X-ray diffraction in 1912, it was virtually impossible to prove that any microscopic grit produced contained diamond.’
- ‘Scientists soon learned that they could use X-ray diffraction to learn how atoms and molecules were arranged in crystals.’
- ‘Analysis was made by X-ray diffraction at the University of Nevada, Reno.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.