Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The branch of astronomy concerned with the detection and measurement of high-energy electromagnetic radiation emitted by celestial objects.
- ‘‘Giacconi really can be considered the father of cosmic X-ray astronomy,’ Hughes says.’
- ‘In 2002, Riccardo Giacconi was named co-recipient of the 2002 Nobel Prize in physics for his pioneering work in X-ray astronomy.’
- ‘Kagoshima, Japan - Japan successfully launched an M - 5 rocket Sunday to deliver a 1.7-ton X-ray astronomy satellite into orbit to study black holes and other phenomena.’
- ‘My career originally started in X-ray astronomy and that's very different from planetary science.’
- ‘‘Authorities in Guatemala believe both fragments are from the Italian satellite Beppo SIX, which has been in orbit since 1996 ‘conducting X-ray astronomy experiments.’’
- ‘Last year's advance material was actually a 2000-word article about the Big Bang, the cosmic microwave background and X-ray astronomy.’
- ‘Giacconi said that receiving the award confirms the importance of X-ray astronomy.’
- ‘So X-ray astronomy came of age as a branch of science only when suitable detectors were placed in orbit around the Earth.’
- ‘As a Ph.D. scholar, he designed and developed balloon-borne X-ray astronomy telescope and gamma-ray spectrometer systems.’
- ‘The field of X-ray astronomy profited by some of the technological developments that went on in these programmes.’
- ‘The prize is in honor of Bruno Rossi, an authority on cosmic-ray physics and a pioneer in the field of X-ray astronomy.’
- ‘Particularly stunning is that two of these new sources discovered by H.E.S.S. have no obvious counterparts in more conventional wavelength bands such as optical and X-ray astronomy.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.