Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Irradiation with X-rays.
- ‘Such a separation of survival and RDS in response to X-irradiation adds to the complexity and difficulty of understanding AT.’
- ‘Classical genetic screens induce mutations using either X-irradiation or chemical mutagens such as ethyl methanesulfonate.’
- ‘All the mosaic plants recovered following X-irradiation of mature seed displayed completely normal leaf width in at least the first four leaves.’
- ‘Furthermore, this background level was only slightly increased by X-irradiation (data not shown).’
- ‘Appropriate cell numbers were plated to measure clonogenic potential after 0-7 Gy X-irradiation.’
- ‘For whole body X-irradiation male rats were placed in Plexiglas boxes surrounded by paraffin phantoms on all sides except the top.’
- ‘Cultured cells have the ability to rapidly rejoin the DNA strand breaks induced by X-irradiation.’
- ‘Pollen was collected and X-irradiated in a Siefert (Ahrensburg, Germany) X-ray machine to dosages of 4500, 5000, 6000, or 7600 R. Immediately after X-irradiation, the pollen was dusted on the styles of female plants.’
- ‘Evidence for a mechanism based on time comes from killing cells in the progress zone or blocking their proliferation at an early stage by, for example, X-irradiation.’
- ‘WIL2 - NS cells are a human B lymphoblastoid cell line isolated from the spleen of a Caucasian male which has been reported to have a high mutational response to X-irradiation.’
- ‘Evaluation of MF in liver, spleen and lung tissue from lacZ mice exposed to fractionated X-irradiation shows tissue-specific differences in both the maximum mutant fraction and the subsequent recovery from X-ray exposure.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.